October 9, 2008

All that jazz

The 100th photo in the Archives' Flickr collection is this shot of the Circle Six Orchestra from 1932.


The only information we have about this band is taken from a cutting that was attached to the back of the photo:

This popular orchestra is composed entirely of Deseronto boys and has been organized for the past five years. Since this photograph was taken the traps player, James McVicker, has added a set of temple blocks to his equipment. Reading from left to right the players are – Reginald Dawson, Roy Woodcock, Clayton John, James McVicker, Marshall Woodcock and Roy Kitchen (now a resident of Tweed).

We'd love to know more about this band and its members.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Reg Dawson owned a farm next to the Deseronto Public School. I know he had a son, Arthur that I grew up knowing. Reg's brother was Don Dawson, who owned the marina, garage and I guess multiple other businesses in Deseronto. Arthur is a cousin to George Fingland, whose father owned a farm adjacent to Reg's farm. Jim McVicker was the postmaster in Deseronto for many years.